Goals of the Masters of Medical Science
Goals of the MMS Program
The goals of MMS program are to teach, reinforce and strengthen knowledge in the following:
- Clearly stating course objectives, which represent valuable skills, tools, or content which enables a student to learn and engage a specific part of the course.
- Ensuring a well-defined linkage between objectives, teaching, and testing.
- Informing each student that the MMS curriculum is cumulative and information taught will be based upon information learned.
- Communicating an understanding to each student of the need for high standards and expectations for success not only in the program but also in the future.
- Maintaining updated records of student progress and providing immediate feedback when needed.
- Committing to staff development and assuring successful implementation of the program.
- Teaching, reinforcing, and strengthening knowledge across numerous basic science disciplines.
The following will provide students with the knowledge and skills needed to develop life-long strategies for professional and career development, enhance written and oral research presentations skills, and learn principles and strategies for becoming effective team members.
Goal 1 – Educational Excellence, Management, Leadership
- To provide students with a solid knowledge base in basic medical sciences and healthcare, and provide an opportunity for them to apply for terminal degrees in medicine, dental medicine, or pharmacy.
- Students will have no more than 6 credits of C grades.
- To attract highly qualified applicants with the development of institutional and community awareness of our program quality.
- To provide an educational opportunity to students who may not have the academic history (i.e., grades, courses, or high enough MCAT, DAT, or PCAT scores) to enter a college of medicine, school dental medicine, or school of pharmacy.
- Upon successful completion of the program, provide a pathway to be acceptable into the LECOM College of Osteopathic Medicine, School of Dental Medicine, or School of Pharmacy.
Goal 2 – Increase Student’s Medical Science and Research Knowledge
- To provide students with a solid foundation of various medical sciences
- To introduce students into basic research principles and practices.
- To provide students with a solid foundation of the patient side of health care using various methodologies in behavioral medicine, epidemiology, and legal issues in healthcare.
- To provide practical experience through participation in practical problem solving, leadership exercises, and the application of research principles.
- To introduce students into evidence-based medicine, which is an approach to medical practice which optimizes appropriate decision making abilities by emphasizing the use of evidence which was accurately designed, conducted, analyzed, and reported.
Goal 3 – Medical Science Centered Curriculum
- To provide a medical science centered curriculum aimed at developing critical thinking, decision making, and problem-solving skills, which prepares the graduate with a basic medical science foundation.
- To prepare graduates with a well-rounded foundation in basic medical sciences, behavioral medicine, legal issues in healthcare, biostatistics, epidemiology, and research, which meet the preliminary requirements acceptable into the LECOM College of Osteopathic Medicine, School of Dental Medicine, or School of Pharmacy.
- To prepare graduates with effective decision-making and problem-solving skills.
Goal 4 – Professionalism Excellence
- To provide the student with the fundamental knowledge base of the attributes of professionalism.
- To encourage the student to embrace the tenants of professionalism, ethics and humanism.
- To achieve development of effective written and verbal communication skills and translate those skill to effective organizational leadership.