School of Dental Medicine Entrance Requirements
LECOM School of Dental Medicine seeks applicants who have not only shown success in their science courses, but also have proven to be well-rounded individuals who have excelled overall in their academic careers.
Applicants must complete a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university by the time of enrollment. Exceptions may be made for students enrolled in special programs who have completed a minimum of 90 credits from an accredited college* or university.
Successful candidates typically have both science and overall grade point averages of 3.2 or above. Each candidate must submit his or her most recent Dental Admission Test (DAT) scores through the American Dental Education Associate application service (ADEA AADSAS). DAT scores taken within the past three years are acceptable. Successful dental students typically have an average DAT score of 18 or higher.
Applicants must meet the following specific course requirements:
- Biology: A minimum of eight (8) semester hours, including two semester hours of laboratory work.
- Inorganic/general chemistry: A minimum of eight (8) semester hours, including two semester hours of laboratory work.
- Organic chemistry: A minimum of eight (8) semester hours, including two semester hours of laboratory work.
- Biochemistry: A minimum of three (3) semester hours.
- English: A minimum of six (6) semester hours of composition with emphasis on technical language skills.
Additional consideration will be given to candidates who have taken courses in anatomy (3 hours), physiology (4 hours), microbiology (4 hours), and physics (4 hours). Students should consider additional courses in cell biology, histology, immunology and molecular/genetic biology. Understanding of these sciences will be beneficial for the Problem-Based Learning (PBL) sessions of the curriculum.
The School of Dentistry recommends applicants to spend 100 hours job shadowing in a clinical dental setting.
*LECOM will consider coursework from accredited community colleges to meet any of the 90 credit course hour requirements for prerequisites and electives. The College will also accept Advanced Placement (AP) credit for prerequisites and electives upon review by the admissions committee.
The LECOM School of Dental Medicine only accepts applicants who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- Admission Requirements for the MHSA degree
- College of Osteopathic Medicine Entrance Requirements
- Doctoral Program In Anatomy Education Admissions Requirements
- Early Acceptance Programs
- Health Sciences Post Baccalaureate Entrance Requirements
- Master of Medical Science Entrance Requirements
- Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences Entrance Requirements
- MSBE Entrance Requirements
- Pre-PharmD Programs Entrance Requirements
- RN to PharmD Bridge Program Entrance Requirements
- School of Dental Medicine Entrance Requirements
- School of Pharmacy Entrance Requirements