Required Laptop Computer Guidelines
All incoming LECOM students are required to have a laptop computer. The computer is used to obtain course notes, access the Internet, e-mail, on-line testing and other activities. All incoming students must obtain a system prior to the first day of orientation. Tablet devices are not an acceptable substitute for a laptop. Students are responsible for all costs associated with ownership of the computer.
System Requirements Hardware
- Intel Core i5 or i7 series processor – 2.0 Ghz or higher
- 4 GB of RAM or higher
- 500 GB Hard Drive or higher
- An 802.11a/c wireless card that supports WPA2-Enterpise is required for internet connection
- Minimum 13” screen size
- Incoming pharmacy students are required to bring a privacy screen for their computer.
- Microsoft Windows 10 or higher operating system is required
- Anti-virus software is required on all computers that connect to the LECOM Network
- Microsoft Office 365 is now available for free to active LECOM students. Office 365 can be downloaded after you log in to your email for the first time. Email accounts are distributed during orientation.
- An external hard drive is highly recommended for backing up da
- A printer for individuals who prefer printed document
- Access to a local Internet Service Provide
- USB to Ethernet adapter and Ethernet cord.
Most laptops have a manufacturer’s warranty for one year. We recommend that you consider purchasing an extended warranty for a number of years. This will cover hardware failures which can be very expensive, and also give you access to extra technical support.
Apple (MAC) computers are not supported by LECOM IT.
Tablet devices (Android, iPad, Surface, or devices with Windows 8 RT) are accepted as a secondary device but not as a substitute for your required laptop.
While you are a student at LECOM, our IS support staff will be available to help you. The following services are provided:
- Software troubleshooting
- Virus removal
- Antivirus software installation
- Operating System – Reformat/Reimage
- Data Backup
Hardware problems are not supported. Students will be referred to a local computer repair shop.
Please contact the IS support staff if you have any questions regarding the purchase of a laptop computer. We can be contacted by email at email@example.com.