Required Laptop Computer Guidelines
All incoming LECOM students are required to have a laptop computer. Windows based computers are recommended. All incoming students must obtain a computer prior to the first day of orientation. Chromebooks and tablet devices are not an acceptable substitute for a laptop computer. Students are responsible for all costs associated with ownership of the computer.
System Requirements Hardware
- Intel Core i5 or i7 series processor or comparable AMD processor– 1.8 Ghz or higher
- 8 GB of RAM or higher
- 256 GB Hard Drive or higher
- An 802.11a/c wireless card that supports WPA2-Enterpise is required for internet connection
- Minimum 13” screen size (minimum screen resolution of 1024×768 or for a Surface Pro 1920×1080)
- A wired headset/earbuds for exams with sound
- Incoming medical students are required to bring a privacy screen for their computer
- Incoming pharmacy students are required to bring a privacy screen for their computer
- Incoming Seton Hill students are required to bring computer with a long battery life (3-4 hours)
- Microsoft Windows 10 2009/20H2 or higher operating system is required for Windows computers
- MAC OSX Big Sur or higher operating system is required for MAC computers
- Anti-virus software is required on ALL computers that connect to the LECOM Network including MACs
- Microsoft Office 365 is now available free to active LECOM students. Office 365 can be downloaded after you log in to your email for the first time. Email accounts are distributed during orientation.
- Virtual environments such as Parallels on a MAC are not supported
- An external hard drive or access to cloud storage is highly recommended for backing up data. 1TB of cloud storage is included with Microsoft Office 365.
- Foam ear plugs if desired, other types are not permitted unless there is sound with the exam
- A printer; printing is also available in the Learning Resource Center for a fee
- Access to a local Internet Service Provider at your residence
We recommend that you consider purchasing an extended warranty on your laptop computer. The standard manufacturer’s warranty is only one year.
Chromebooks are not an acceptable computer. Tablet devices (Androids, iPads, or devices with Windows 10 S) are accepted as a secondary device, but not as a substitute for your required laptop computer.
While you are a student at LECOM, the following services are available from the IT support staff:
- Software installation and troubleshooting, virus removal, computer reformatting, data backup, and other non-hardware problems.
Hardware problems are not supported. Students will be referred to a local computer repair shop. Please contact the IT support staff at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.