The mission of LECOMT shall be to support and to ensure the quality of osteopathic medical education through an alliance of osteopathic training sites and the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine. Underscored in LECOMT’s mission will be its commitment to predoctoral and postdoctoral training in primary care and to provide programs of postdoctoral instruction and training in the art, science, principles and practice of osteopathic medicine. To accomplish its mission LECOMT must:
- Achieve academic excellence and recognition for quality programs that strengthen participating institutions and benefit their communities.
- Develop and use the most cost effective and practical methods to meet trainees’ educational needs.
- Respect the authority and unique characteristics of each institution while achieving maximum benefit of the academic consortium.
- Establish policies and procedures collaboratively, recognizing the interests, needs and constraints of participating institutions.
- Maintain and reinforce osteopathic principles and practice and the commitment of providing holistic health care, particularly in rural and underserved areas.
- Continually strengthen ties between community-based physician educators and participating hospitals and other training organizations.
- Foster research and other scholarly activity in both basic science and clinical medicine, especially as is pertinent to osteopathic philosophy.
- The scope of LECOMT should include, but not be limited to, mutual collaboration in areas such as: curriculum and faculty development, trainee evaluation, grant acquisition, business ventures, marketing and recruitment.