Mission Statement of the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
The mission of the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine is to prepare students to become osteopathic physicians, pharmacy practitioners, and dentists through programs of excellence in education, research, clinical care, and community service to enhance the quality of life through improved health for all humanity. The professional programs are dedicated to serve all students through innovative curriculum and the development of postdoctoral education and interprofessional experiences.
LECOM Institutional Student Learning Outcomes
Discipline Knowledge – Students completing a degree at LECOM will be able to demonstrate appropriate knowledge specific to their respective discipline.
Professionalism – Students completing a degree at LECOM will be able to demonstrate effective skills and attitudes that represent an understanding of professionalism and ethical practice.
Osteopathic Philosophy – Students will adopt a holistic approach to the education and practice of their respective discipline.
Educational Goals of the College of Osteopathic Medicine
The primary goal of LECOM is to educate students to become physicians who practice within the osteopathic concept. Additionally, the college’s goal is to educate and develop primary care physicians who will practice in the osteopathic tradition. The college imparts to its students a firm academic background, enabling them to pursue advanced training in medical specialties within osteopathic medicine. The college encourages its students to participate in research and life-long learning to further advance his or her chosen profession.
Mission Statement of the School of Pharmacy
The mission for the LECOM School of Pharmacy is to prepare pharmacy professionals committed to providing high-quality, ethical, and empathetic patient-centered pharmaceutical care to serve the needs of a diverse population via three education pathways: Accelerated Pathway, Florida Pathway, and Distance Education Pathway. Through the integration of the sciences with critical thinking skills and effective communication, LECOM will prepare future pharmacists to be strong patient advocates and leaders in their communities, in professional associations, and research activities.
Educational Goals of the School of Pharmacy
The LECOM School of Pharmacy is the innovative leader in graduating pharmacists who serve as highly skilled clinicians achieving optimal therapeutic outcomes in all aspects of pharmaceutical care.
The primary goal of the LECOM School of Pharmacy is to prepare pharmacy professionals who are committed to provide high-quality, ethical and empathetic patient-centered care to serve the needs of a diverse population. Through the integration of the sciences, along with critical thinking skills and effective communication, LECOM will prepare future pharmacists to be strong patient advocates and leaders in their communities, in professional associations and in research activities.
We are committed to a culture that equally values:
- A nurturing and supportive environment
- Collaborative practices
- Community service
- Dedication to the profession of pharmacy
- Excellence in scholarship and teaching
- Life-long learning
- Quality assurance and continuous quality improvement
- Student-centered environment
Mission Statement of the School of Dental Medicine
The mission of the School of Dental Medicine is to prepare students to become dentists through programs of excellence in education, research, clinical care and community service to enhance the quality of life through improved health for all humanity
Educational Goals of the School of Dental Medicine
The primary goal of the LECOM School of Dental Medicine is to prepare dental professionals committed to provide high-quality, ethical and empathetic
patient-centered care to serve the needs of a diverse population. Through the integration of scientific knowledge, critical thinking and effective
communication skills, and an emphasis on best-practice use of technology, we will prepare future dentists to be quality care givers, strong patient advocates
and leaders in their communities, professional associations and research activities.
LECOM’s specific evidence-based quality dental educational program will train our students to provide patient-centered care and will:
- Prepare our students to provide optimal therapeutic and economic outcomes, promote disease prevention, and enhance patient and provider education
- Assess professional competencies throughout the program
- Empower students with the knowledge and skills necessary to work effectively in an inter-professional, interdisciplinary and multicultural environment
- Enhance the educational process through maximum use of advanced technology
- Provide an environment that promotes the development of critical thinking skills
- Provide an environment supportive of camaraderie, collegiality, and service
- Attract and through mentoring, professional development and reward system, retain the “best” faculty and staff
- Encourage, support, and reward scholarship, which provides both faculty and students varied opportunities to discover and share new knowledge
- Commit to improving the health of our community through volunteerism, service learning, and active involvement in community partnerships
- Cultivate in students and faculty the responsibility and commitment to improving the dental profession through active involvement in professional associations and promoting the practice of dentistry
Mission Statement of the School of Graduate Studies Masters in Health Services Administration Program
The Mission of the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine’s Masters in Health Services Administration (MHSA) program is to develop clinicians and graduate students into highly competent health care administrators through educational excellence in a focused, case-based curriculum with experiential discovery and flexibility provided through distance education; administrators who can effectively adapt to a rapidly changing health care system and deliver interprofessional strategic leadership that enhances the overall wellness of the communities they serve.