Dr. Anupam Bishayee (COM-Bradenton)
Dr. Bishayee is the Director of Research and Professor of Pharmacology at LECOM-Bradenton. Dr. Bishayee has more than 25 years combined experience in biomedical and pharmaceutical education, research, teaching, and administration. He received his Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharm.), Master of Pharmacy (M.Pharm.), and Ph.D. (cancer prevention) from Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India. Dr. Bishayee performed post-doctoral research on cancer cell biology and cancer therapy at Rutgers University, Newark, New Jersey (formerly University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey) and completed a fellowship in Academic Medicine from Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED, Rootstown, Ohio).
Dr. Bishayee’s primary research interest during last two decades encompasses natural products and dietary agents in health and disease. His laboratory is involved in investigating cancer preventive and therapeutic effects of medicinal plants, natural products, dietary and synthetic agents using various preclinical models of cancer and underlying mechanisms of action. Various projects of Dr. Bishayee are funded by the National Institutes of Health as well as private pharmaceutical and biotechnological companies. Dr Bishayee has been awarded a United States patent on development of a potential drug for breast cancer prevention and treatment. Dr. Bishayee is also interested in evaluating the efficacy of osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT) in inflammatory and other chronic diseases.
Selected publications based on completed research projects at LECOM (bold type indicates LECOM faculty and students):
- Haber, RA, Garcia RD, Hernandez JN, Jamieson S, Mondal A, Bishayee A. Papaya (Carica papaya) for cancer prevention: Progress and promise. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition – in press (2023)
- Kalick LS, Khan HA, Maung E, Baez Y, Atkinson AN, Wallace CE, Day F, Delgadillo BE, Mondal A, Watanapokasin R, Barbalho SM, Bishayee A. Mangosteen for malignancy prevention and intervention: Current evidence, molecular mechanisms, and future perspectives. Pharmacological Research 188:106630 (2023)
- Jamieson S, Wallace CE, Das N, Bhattacharyya P, Bishayee A. Guava (Psidium guajava): a glorious plant with cancer preventive and therapeutic potential. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition 63(2):192-223 (2023)
- Bajalia EM, Azzouz FB, Chism DA, Giansiracusa DM, Wong CG, Plaskett KN, Bishayee, A. Phytochemicals for the Prevention and Treatment of Renal Cell Carcinoma: Preclinical and Clinical Evidence and Molecular Mechanisms. Cancers 14:3278 (2022)
- Bishayee A, Patel PA, Sharma P, Thoutireddy S, Das N. Lotus (Nelumbo nucifera) and Its Bioactive Phytocompounds: A Tribute to Cancer Prevention and Intervention. Cancers 14(3):529 (2022).
- Kaiser AE, Baniasadi M, Giansiracusa D, Giansiracusa M, Garcia M, Fryda Z, Wong TL, Bishayee A. Sulforaphane: A Broccoli Bioactive Phytocompound with Cancer Preventive Potential. Cancers13(19):4796 (2021)
- De Greef D, Barton EM, Sandberg EN, Croley CR, Pumarol J, Wong TL, Das N, Bishayee A. Anticancer potential of garlic and its bioactive constituents: A systematic and comprehensive review. Seminars in Cancer Biology 73:219-264 (2021)
- Wong TL, Strandberg KR, Croley CR, Fraser SE, Nagulapalli Venkata KC, Fimognari C, Sethi G, Bishayee A. Pomegranate bioactive constituents target multiple oncogenic and oncosuppressive signaling for cancer prevention and intervention. Seminars in Cancer Biology 73:265-293 (2021)
- Mirza B, Croley CR, Ahmad M, Pumarol J, Das N, Sethi G, Bishayee A. Mango (Mangifera indica): a magnificent plant with cancer preventive and anticancer therapeutic potential. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition 61(13):2125-2151 (2021)
- Maiolini M, Gause S, Taylor J, Steakin T, Shipp G, Lamichhane P, Deshmukh B, Shinde V, Bishayee A, Deshmukh RR. The War against Tuberculosis: A Review of Natural Compounds and Their Derivatives. Molecules 25(13):3011 (2020)
Google Scholar-indexed Publications