Please monitor this page to stay up-to-date regarding COVID-19 and the LECOM community.
The Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) views the safety and well-being of its students, faculty and staff as its No. 1 priority. Officials with LECOM are closely monitoring developments surrounding the Coronavirus (COVID-19), including guidelines and bulletins issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Pennsylvania, Florida and New York Departments of Health, and the World Health Organization.
LECOM has protocols in place and has taken a series of precautions to mitigate the community spread of COVID-19 so as to best protect its campuses in Erie and Greensburg, Pennsylvania, Bradenton, Florida, and Elmira, New York.
- Students, faculty and staff should closely monitor email and text alerts sent by campus administration with instructions for changes to class or work schedules.
- Students who are currently participating in off-site clinical rotations will receive further guidance from their respective schools.
- The patient screening day on March 25 at the Erie, PA dental clinic has been cancelled.
- The LECOM School of Dental Medicine Clinics in Bradenton, and Defuniak Springs, FL and Erie, PA, in accordance with American Dental Association guidelines have adjusted clinic operations to Emergency Treatment only and that all elective procedures will be postponed for the next three weeks.
- Clinic staff are currently reaching out to reschedule any elective procedures, such as new patient screenings, comprehensive oral evaluation, or dental cleaning, between March 18 to April 7. Procedures that are considered emergency treatment, such as dental pain, broken teeth, oral infection, or bleeding, will still be seen at the LECOM Dental Clinics. Finally, procedures that are considered urgent, final seating of crown, bridge or denture adjustments, will be scheduled by the clinic staff.
- If you are experiencing dental pain or discomfort, please contact the LECOM Dental Clinic closest to you to schedule your emergency appointment. For any concerns regarding appointments, treatment or emergencies, please use the following information to contact the clinic:
- Bradenton, FL: (941) 405-1600
- DeFuniak Springs, FL: (850) 951-0200
- Erie, PA: (814) 868-1001
The CDC, Department of Health and LECOM officials recommend the following:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid large crowds or gatherings for the next few weeks.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a household cleaning spray or wipe.
- The CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a face mask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19.
- Face masks should be used by people who exhibit symptoms of COVID-19 to help prevent further spread of the disease. The use of face masks is crucial for healthcare workers and those caring for individuals in close settings (at home or in a health care facility).
This is a fluid, rapidly changing public health situation. LECOM will continue to communicate updates to students, faculty and staff via email and OMNILERT. LECOM also encourages its students, faculty and staff to monitor the CDC website, https://www.cdc.gov, for updates and preventative measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19.