Internet Usage Policy
Individuals given Internet access via LECOM computers are expected to use the Internet to enhance the performance of their work and study responsibilities. No one shall place school material (copyrighted software, internal correspondence, confidential materials, etc.) on any publicly accessible Internet site without permission. The Internet does not guarantee the privacy and confidentiality of information. Sensitive material transferred over the Internet (including FTP and Email) may be at risk of detection by a third party. Caution must be exercised when transferring such material in any form. It is against federal law and LECOM policy to violate copyright or patents of other on or through the Internet. Students, including peer-to-peer file sharing, faculty or staff are prohibited from downloading or using copyrighted material in any way without obtaining written authorization. Only computers with up-to-date anti-virus software will be given Internet access.
Unacceptable uses of the Internet:
- Use for an illegal purposes.
- Downloading or using copyrighted materials.
- Any use for commercial or for-profit purposes.
- Using software in violation of license and/or software agreements.
- Any use for product advertisement.
- Promotion of personal political beliefs.
- Access or processing pornographic material.
- Shopping, stock trading and other personal business.
- Downloading music files.
- Instant Messaging (MSN Messenger, AOL Instant Messenger, etc.)
- Distribution of unsolicited material to others, peer-to-peer file sharing.