Campus Safety and Security Programs and Information Systems
The LECOM Police and Security Department maintains a daily log of all criminal and non-criminal incidents that occur on the main campus and satellite facilities pursuant to federal and state statutes. The contents of this log are open to public inspection. Any student or prospective student, faculty member or staff member of LECOM wishing to examine the Daily Log may do so. The log is located in the Campus Police and Security Department Office near the north entrance to the LECOM complex. Request to view the document can be made to any security officer on-duty in the office during hours when the building is open for business.
An exception to the release of information pertaining to a criminal offense may occur when there is clear and convincing evidence that the release of the information would jeopardize an ongoing criminal investigation or the safety of an individual, or cause a suspect to flee or evade detection, or result in the destruction of evidence. The information will, however, become public when damage is no longer likely to occur as the result of its release.
LECOM Campus Security Notification System
LECOM will inform the campus community concerning security matters through the issuance of timely warnings whenever emergency, safety or security issues arise that pose a threat or will have a significant impact on security for students and employees. Such issues shall include but not be limited to criminal activity on or near the LECOM campus, crime prevention warnings and techniques and changes to security policy or procedure.
The LECOM Security Information Notification System [LSINS] shall include the following media:
- LECOM Video Bulletin Board
- Campus E-Mail System
- Information posted to the LECOM Security Department homepage
- Campus crime prevention or security presentations
LECOM Campus Security Alerts – Omnilerts
LECOM utilizes “Omnilerts,” a notification system that enables the school to send urgent news to cell phones and via other methods. The service is available to all current students, faculty and staff. After signing up for the service, LECOM can text cell phones with timely information about emergencies, class cancellations or critical campus reminders. Registering with the system is necessary to receive the notifications. Depending on personal cell phone plans, there may be a nominal fee from a carrier to receive text messages, but there is no charge from the school to use the service.
It is incumbent upon every member of the LECOM community to actively participate in the Campus Security Program by frequently checking and reading the information disseminated through the various media comprising the Security Information Notification System. Any campus security program can only be as effective as the cooperation and acceptance of the College community.
Student and Employee Responsibility for Safety and Security
LECOM is an exceptionally safe and secure educational institution. However, individual complacency and inattentiveness concerning personal security can negatively impact the entire college community. To insure optimum levels of security, students and employees must assume responsibility for their own safety, as well as, the safety and security of all members of the college. This responsibility includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Report any safety or security concerns to the Campus Police and Security Office at Extension 8415.
- Report any suspicious persons or situations on campus to the Campus Police and Security Office immediately upon discovery.
- Use your issued card/key every time you enter or exit the building.
- Strictly obey traffic and parking regulations on campus. This is especially important when driving in congested parking areas and around pedestrian traffic areas.
- Never park, stop or stand in fire lanes around the complex. This could cause a serious delay in the response time for fire fighters in the event of a fire emergency on campus.
- Keep personal items that can be stolen inside locked lockers.
Campus Crime Prevention Programs
The following crime prevention programs are provided to the LECOM community:
- All incoming first-year medical and pharmacy students receive a presentation from the LECOM Police and Security Department during orientation.
- Prior to orientation, all in-coming first-year students receive an identification badge/card/key and a parking permit.
- All new employees receive an Identification Badge/Card/Key and a Parking Permit.
- The Security Department, in conjunction with the departments of Student Affairs and Human Resources and the various student organizations, will provide crime prevention presentations as needed or requested throughout the year.
- Sign Up Now for LECOM Campus Security Alerts
- Building Hours, ID Badges and Visitors
- Vehicle Traffic and Parking Policy
- Weapons Policy
- Clery Act Annual Security Report
- Drug and Alcohol Policies
- Reporting Crime
- Off Campus Student Organizational Functions
- Campus Safety and Security Programs and Information Systems
- Emergency Phone Numbers