Dental Medicine Curriculum
The School of Dental Medicine prepares students for the practice of general dentistry through a unique and innovative curriculum. LECOM’s evidence-based, quality dental education program will train students to provide patient-centered care with optimal therapeutic and economic outcomes, promote disease prevention and enhance patient and provider education.
LECOM offers the Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) degree through a full-time, four-year pathway at the Bradenton campus. The curriculum consists of two years of basic science delivered through Problem-Based Learning (PBL) sessions, and pre-clinical dental education instruction with traditional lectures, laboratories and an early introduction to clinical experiences. Years three and four offer primarily hands-on, clinical experiences.
PBL emphasizes self-directed study with a team approach through mentored, small-group, case-based study. Other unique components of the curriculum include:
- faculty-directed self-study of gross anatomy;
- early exposure to the practice of dentistry in the first year by directly assisting and observing the third-year student dentists interaction and treatment of their patients in the LECOM Dental Group Practices; vertical integration practice model; and direct comprehensive patient care in the first year;
- a patient-based simulation-clinic; and
- the entire fourth year devoted to community-based primary care clinics in Florida and in Erie.
Faculty members will assess professional competencies through the program as they empower students with the knowledge and skills necessary to work effectively in interprofessional, interdisciplinary and multicultural environments.
School of Dental Medicine
- School of Dental Medicine Academic Calendar
- Dental Medicine Curriculum
- Why Choose a Career in Dental Medicine?
- LECOM School of Dental Medicine Accreditation
- School of Dental Medicine Student and Faculty Research
- Pharmacy Post Baccalaureate Program and Pre-PharmD Enrichment Program
- Professional Licensure Disclosures