Pharmacy Graduation Outcome Measures
LECOM On-Time Graduation Rates, Pharmacy Residency Rates, NAPLEX® and MPJE® Pass Rates
Policy regarding methods used to collect and review information on student outcomes and licensure pass rates: Data regarding student pass rates on licensure exams is collected annually from national licensing bodies and is posted to LECOM’s website. This information is collected and reviewed by the Dean of each respective program and the Provost of the institution. Once the data has been reviewed and confirmed, it is approved by the Office of Communications and Marketing for use on the LECOM.edu website, as well as in recruitment materials.
As part of the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) policies and procedures (8.4 Policy on Program Disclosure of Specific Information), any ACPE-accredited program is required to post on its website the following information:
- The on-time graduation rate for the most recent graduating class in the single degree pathway, i.e., the percentage of a class cohort completing the curriculum in the specified timeframe (3 calendar or 4 academic years);
- The most recent year’s North American Pharmacy Licensure Examination (NAPLEX®)results for first-time takers as found on the NAPB Website; and
- A measure of student achievement for the most recent graduating class as determined by the institution or pharmacy program.
The LECOM School of Pharmacy (SOP) monitors outcomes of its graduates using the on-time graduation rate, the percentage of graduates entering residency programs and the pass rate for the NAPLEX® and the Multistate Pharmacy Jurisprudence Examination (MPJE®).
On-Time Graduation and Degree Completion
The Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) School of Pharmacy (SOP) has a three-year Doctor of Pharmacy program in Erie, Pa. a four-year Doctor of Pharmacy program in Bradenton, Fla and a four-year Doctor of Pharmacy program offered through the Distance Education Pathway. The first class of the Distance Education Pathway will graduate in 2018. On-time graduation and degree completion are reported with the exclusion of those who chose to withdraw from the program. According to the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy website, the 5-year national average for on-time graduation is 88%.
|LECOM SOP On-Time Graduation and Degree Completion Rates|
Residency Placement Rates
After degree completion, Doctor of Pharmacy graduates have the option of entering pharmacy practice immediately or pursuing further clinical training through pharmacy residency programs. According to statistics from the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, 3906 members of the 2020 graduating class matched into a pharmacy residency program. This corresponds to approximately 25% pharmacy graduates in the US that will be entering residency programs in 2020.
Over the last five years, the average residency placement rate of the LECOM School of Pharmacy graduates was 12%. Furthermore, the matching rate for the class of 2020 residency applicants was 67%, which is above the 2020 national matching rate of 65%.
Licensure Examination Pass Rates
The North American Pharmacist Licensure Examination®(NAPLEX®) and Multistate Pharmacy Jurisprudence Examination® (MPJE®) are developed by the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) to be used by state boards of pharmacy as part of their criteria for granting a license to practice as a pharmacist. The NAPLEX® measures knowledge, judgment, and skills needed for entry-level pharmacists. The MPJE® tests the understanding of state and federal laws and rules that regulate the practice of pharmacy.
The LECOM School of Pharmacy has taken the lead to achieve our goal of 100% first time pass rate on the pharmacy board exams (NAPLEX® and MPJE®). Toward this goal, the following initiatives have been implemented and reinforced by the school:
- Year-long board review course that includes videos, book, and practice tests
- On-campus intensive board review sessions
- Study guidance individualized to student needs
- Coaching and motivation from faculty advisors
- Curriculum alignment with board exam style and content
|LECOM SOP NAPLEX® Pass Rate|
|First Attempt LECOM Graduates||81.4%||85.9%||76.6%||91.0%|
|First Attempt National Average||88.0%||89.5%||88.3%||91.7%|
|LECOM SOP MPJE® Pass Rate|
|First Attempt LECOM Graduates***||90.9%||88.6%||88.5%||88.2%|
|First Attempt National Average||85.2%||83.8%||83.6%||85.7%|
**Reflects the pass rate of the 2020 graduates who tested on or before August 31, 2020.
***Reflects the pass rates of the Erie Campus graduates who took the exam in Pennsylvania.
- COM Comlex Pass and Graduation Match Rates
- COM Student Debt Outcomes
- Pharmacy Graduation Outcome Measures
- COM Financial Aid and Debt Counseling Sessions
- LECOM post-graduate medical education residency match details
- School of Dental Medicine Graduation Outcomes
- Distance Education Complaint Process for Out-of-State Students