Student Laptop Requirements
All incoming LECOM students are required to have a Windows-based laptop computer.*
The computer is used to obtain course notes, access the Internet, e-mail, on-line testing and other activities. All incoming students must obtain a system prior to the first day of orientation. Network, Internet configuration and software tutorials will be offered during orientation. Students are responsible for all costs associated with ownership of the computer.
- Minimum Processor speed of 1.6 GHz or greater is recommended
- Minimum RAM memory of 2 GB or more is recommended
Minimum 160 GB Hard Drive or higher is recommended
- An external hard drive is highly recommended for backing up data
- Minimum 16X DVD/CD Player, DVD RW/CD RW is recommended
- A wireless 802.11b/g series card is required for internet connection
- Microsoft Windows operating system is required (XP,Vista, or Windows 7)
- An up to date anti-virus program is mandatory (Kaspersky, AVG, Norton Symantec)
- Microsoft Office or Open Office
- Software can be purchased at a discounted rate at JourneyEd.com
Access to a local Internet Service Provider (ISP). This will be required if you wish to access the Internet and LECOM’s portal from your living quarters. We recommend DSL broadband or a high speed cable connection in order to download and study the online course materials and videos off campus; otherwise you will have to view the materials on campus.
The cost for anti-virus programs varies but they are available online or at any electronics store. Please make sure your anti-virus program is up to date at all times. NOTE: Some new computers come with a trial version of an anti-virus program. This is usually good for 60 - 90 days after which you will be required to purchase an updated subscription or install a free program in order to remain on the network.
Most laptop computers are warranted for up to one year. We recommend that you consider purchasing an extended warranty. This will cover hardware failures which can be very expensive, and also give you access to technical support for hardware problems.
Apple computers (Mac’s) are not accepted as your required laptop and are not supported. We will not support Apple computers even with boot-camp or virtual software programs that run Windows. Using an Apple computer at LECOM is at your own risk. Please bring a Windows based laptop to avoid any serious problems.
While you are a student at LECOM, our IS support staff will be available to help you with any problems you may experience. Please contact the IS support staff if you have any questions regarding the purchase of a laptop computer. We can be contacted by telephone (814)866-8170 or email email@example.com.
- Professional Policies
- Health & Technical Standards
- Computer Technology
- Campus Security
- LECOM Security Department
- LECOM Clery Act Campus Safety and Security Report
- Sign Up Now for LECOM Campus Security Alerts
- Building Hours, ID Badges and Visitors
- Vehicle Traffic and Parking Policy
- Weapons Policy
- Drug and Alcohol Policies
- Reporting Crime
- Off Campus Student Organizational Functions
- Campus Safety and Security Programs and Information Systems
- Emergency Phone Numbers