Through a unique and innovative curriculum, the School of Dental Medicine prepares students for the practice of general dentistry, specifically for underserved communities. LECOM’s evidence-based, quality dental education program will train students to provide patient-centered care, optimal therapeutic and economic outcomes, promote disease prevention and enhance patient and provider education.
LECOM offers the Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) degree through a full-time, four-year pathway at the Bradenton campus. The curriculum consists of two years of basic science and pre-clinical instruction delivered through case-based, small group Problem-Based Learning (PBL) sessions, as well as lectures, laboratories and introductory clinical experiences. Years three and four offer primarily hands-on, clinical experiences.
PBL courses will integrate medical and dental students. Other unique components of the curriculum include faculty directed self-study of gross anatomy; early exposure to dentistry in the first year by working as dental assistants in local primary care dental clinics; direct comprehensive patient care in the first year; a patient-based simulation-clinic; and the entire fourth year devoted to primary care clinics in underserved areas in Florida and in Erie.
Faculty members will assess professional competencies through the program as they empower students with the knowledge and skills necessary to work effectively in interprofessional, interdisciplinary and multicultural environments.
- Student Fund Scholarship Auction Raises Record Total
- Students Inducted Into National Pharmacy Leadership Society
- School of Pharmacy Chosen for Statewide Award
- LECOM Alumni Shine at Hospital Day
- Students, Faculty from School of Pharmacy Participate in Drug Take-Back Day
- LECOM at Seton Hill Med Students Receive White Coats
- LECOM and Grove City College continue partnership through early acceptance programs
- Construction has begun for the new LECOM Senior Living Center
- LECOM Graduates the Class of 2013
- Important LECOM Events for 2013-2014
- LECOM Commencement Dates 2014-2020
- LECOM Connection Available Online
- LECOM Provides Easier Access to News Items
- Sign Up Now for LECOM Campus Security Alerts
- LECOM 2013 Commencement Photos