The Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) and the NBA Development League’s Erie BayHawks have signed a five-year contract extension that will continue to have LECOM serve as the exclusive medical provider for the team, as well as continuing a multi-faceted marketing partnership. The terms of the partnership carry through the team’s 2017-18 season.
"Since the very first season when we met the BayHawks owners and management, we’ve been impressed by the team’s motivation to promote the health of its players and the community,” said LECOM President John M. Ferretti, D.O. “ We are committed to providing optimum health care for the team members through our Sports Medicine program and to joining the BayHawks as they compete for a championship.”
“LECOM is a tremendous asset to this community and their long-term commitment to our team from every level of their organization is remarkable,” said BayHawks lead local investor Owen McCormick. “We receive outstanding care from the LECOM medical team, have a state-of-the-art workout facility at the LECOM Wellness Center, and Dr. John and Dr. Silvia Ferretti are personally committed to seeing that the very best care is provided to each of our players, coaches and staff.”
Components of the partnership include:
- LECOM doctors serve as the team’s exclusive medical provider and supply the BayHawks a comprehensive health and wellness program including preventative care, nutrition education, injury treatment and rehabilitative services.
- The LECOM Medical Fitness & Wellness Center serves as the team’s official practice and workout facility providing practice time, strength and fitness training, nutritional meal options and more.
- New for this season, the BayHawks strength and conditioning routines will be enhanced as LECOM implements a program aligned with training used by the New York Knicks, the team’s NBA affiliate.
- LECOM will continue to serve as the team’s “presenting partner” and marquee marketing partner that, in addition to “LECOM” being placed on the team’s jerseys, includes various elements of signage, print and other mediums by which the BayHawks promote LECOM.
The BayHawks also introduced Gene Cross, the former University of Toledo head coach, as the BayHawks new head coach. Cross will be replacing Jay Larranaga, who posted a 60-40 record in his two seasons with the BayHawks before joining the Boston Celtics as an assistant earlier this month.
|(From L-R) Sports medicine physicians Anthony Ferretti, DO, Patrick Leary, DO and Greg Coppola, DO pose for a photo with the new BayHawks head coach Gene Cross (second from right).|
The BayHawks begin the season on November 23 at Fort Wayne and play their first home game on December 1 at 7pm versus the Canton Charge. Season tickets and group tickets are on sale now and can be purchased by visiting or calling the team offices at 814-790-5600.
The Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine offers innovative and affordable education in osteopathic medicine, dentistry and pharmacy. From campuses in Erie, Pennsylvania,Greensburg, Pennsylvania and Bradenton, Florida, LECOM believes that when mind, body and spirit come together the impossible becomes suddenly possible. It is a calling each and every one of our students embodies to become the best they can be. To prevent disease and treat it. To give hope. Can you hear the calling?
- Student Chosen As Winner of Ripple Effect Contest, Will Make Humanitarian Service Trip
- LECOM, Lake Erie College Sign Affiliation Agreement
- LECOM to lead Safe Kids Erie initiative
- LECOM Bradenton Celebrates Seventh Commencement
- Construction has begun for the new LECOM Senior Living Center
- Important LECOM Events for 2014-2015
- LECOM Commencement Dates 2014-2020
- LECOM Prospective Student Open Houses
- LECOM Connection Available Online
- LECOM Provides Easier Access to News Items
- Sign Up Now for LECOM Campus Security Alerts
- LECOM 2013 Commencement Photos