The Student Scholarship Fund at the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine has received an infusion of nearly $20,000 through LECOM’s participation in Erie Gives.
The Erie Community Foundation, the organizer of Erie Gives, held a press conference and formal check distribution ceremony at the Erie Zoo. Hershey Bell, M.D., Vice President of Academic Affairs, Dean of the LECOM School of Pharmacy, and Associate Dean of Faculty Development, accepted the check on behalf of the College.
Dr. Bell had proposed that LECOM take part in Erie Gives, a one-day effort to raise money for local nonprofit agencies and organizations. John Ferretti, D.O., President and CEO of LECOM, and Silvia Ferretti, D.O., Provost, Senior Vice President, and Dean of Academic Affairs, supported LECOM’s participation for raising money for the Student Scholarship Fund.
During the event, held Aug. 13, LECOM received $18,800 in contributions. Matching funds, provided by the Erie Community Foundation and by GE Transportation, brought LECOM’s total to $19,959.97. Every dollar will go to the Scholarship Fund.
“It was an honor for LECOM to participate in an effort that does so much to help the nonprofits that are working for a better community,” Dr. Bell said. “Erie Gives is an ideal way to support our students and help them manage the cost of their education.”
Dr. Bell was pleased with the support LECOM received as a first-time participant in Erie Gives. “We’re extremely grateful to everyone who recognized the importance of supporting our students and contributing to the fund,” he said. “The response was overwhelming.”
Erie Gives has grown considerably since it began in 2011, when 212 nonprofits participated. Last year, 257 participated, and 322 took part this year, with more than $1.7 million in total contributions received.
Learn more about the Student Scholarship Fund at the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine here.
The Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine offers innovative and affordable education in osteopathic medicine, dentistry and pharmacy. From campuses in Erie, Pennsylvania, Greensburg, Pennsylvania and Bradenton, Florida, LECOM believes that when mind, body and spirit come together the impossible becomes suddenly possible. It is a calling each and every one of our students embodies to become the best they can be. To prevent disease and treat it. To give hope. Can you hear the calling?
- LECOM, Allegheny Health Network Announce Academic Affiliation
- LECOM Honored for Community Service
- Alumni Returns for Hospital Day
- LECOM Student Pharmacists teach kindergarteners about medicine safety
- LECOM, Lake Erie College Sign Affiliation Agreement
- LECOM to lead Safe Kids Erie initiative
- LECOM Bradenton Celebrates Seventh Commencement
- Construction has begun for the new LECOM Senior Living Center
- Important LECOM Events for 2014-2015
- LECOM Commencement Dates 2014-2020
- LECOM Prospective Student Open Houses
- LECOM Connection Available Online
- LECOM Provides Easier Access to News Items
- Sign Up Now for LECOM Campus Security Alerts
- LECOM 2013 Commencement Photos