Through a unique and innovative curriculum, the School of Dental Medicine prepares students for the practice of general dentistry, specifically for underserved communities. LECOM’s evidence-based, quality dental education program will train students to provide patient-centered care, optimal therapeutic and economic outcomes, promote disease prevention and enhance patient and provider education.
LECOM offers the Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) degree through a full-time, four-year pathway at the Bradenton campus. The curriculum consists of two years of basic science and pre-clinical instruction delivered through case-based, small group Problem-Based Learning (PBL) sessions, as well as lectures, laboratories and introductory clinical experiences. Years three and four offer primarily hands-on, clinical experiences.
PBL courses will integrate medical and dental students. Other unique components of the curriculum include faculty directed self-study of gross anatomy; early exposure to dentistry in the first year by working as dental assistants in local primary care dental clinics; direct comprehensive patient care in the first year; a patient-based simulation-clinic; and the entire fourth year devoted to primary care clinics in underserved areas in Florida and in Erie.
Faculty members will assess professional competencies through the program as they empower students with the knowledge and skills necessary to work effectively in interprofessional, interdisciplinary and multicultural environments.
- LECOM Honored for Medication Adherence Programs
- LECOM Continues its Mission of Serving the Community
- LECOM and MCH Lead All Award Winners at POMA Conference
- LECOM Named Institution of the Year by the Manatee Chamber of Commerce
- LECOM Students Recognize National Osteopathic Medicine Week
- LECOM Introduces the Next Generation of Senior Living.
- LECOM and Highmark Inc. Announce Partnership to Increase Physicians in Rural Areas of Pennsylvania
- Important LECOM Events
- LECOM Commencement Dates 2013-2020
- LECOM Connection Available Online
- LECOM Provides Easier Access to News Items
- Sign Up Now for LECOM Campus Security Alerts
- LECOM Open House
- LECOM 2012 Commencement Photos
- LECOM Announces Erie Bayfront Expansion Plans