The Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine received the Manatee Chamber of Commerce’s 2013 Champions of Healthcare Institution of the Year Award.
LECOM was lauded for its dedication to community service and economic impact in Manatee County. Anthony Ferretti, D.O., Assistant Dean of Clinical Education at LECOM’s Bradenton, FL, campus accepted the award in front of a large crowd at the Polo Grill ballroom in Lakewood Ranch. Dr. Ferretti thanked the Chamber for the honor and noted that it is LECOM students that play a major role in making the institution a success.
|LECOM Assistant Dean of Preclinical Education Mark Coty, Ph.D., Assistant Dean of Clinical Education Anthony Ferretti, D.O. and faculty member Jeffrey Myers, J.D. accept the Champions of Healthcare Award.|
In 2011-12, LECOM medical and pharmacy students volunteered over 30,000 hours of service to such programs as: Bridging the Gaps, mentoring at the Florida Sheriff's Youth Ranch, tobacco cessation, health and wellness clinics, the Food Bank of Manatee County and Operation Prom, just to name a few. LECOM recently donated $10,000 to provide denture services to homeless clients of the Bill Galvano One-Stop Center – Turning Points. LECOM students also provide medical and pharmacy services at the One-Stop clinic.
LECOM made a splash economically, investing $52 million to bring a School of Dental Medicine to the area. The LECOM School of Dental Medicine opened in July 2012 to an inaugural class of 100 students. The direct impact of institutional, employee and student spending is expected to reach approximately $14 million in the Bradenton area, and as much as $35 million through direct and indirect spending statewide.
The Champions of Healthcare Awards recognize the individuals, institutions and programs that have made an extraordinary impact in the Manatee County healthcare community and whose acts reflect dedication to excellence in their area of expertise beyond the scope of their profession.
The Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine offers innovative and affordable education in osteopathic medicine, dentistry and pharmacy. From campuses in Erie, Pennsylvania, Greensburg, Pennsylvania and Bradenton, Florida, LECOM believes that when mind, body and spirit come together the impossible becomes suddenly possible. It is a calling each and every one of our students embodies to become the best they can be. To prevent disease and treat it. To give hope. Can you hear the calling?
- LECOM Celebrates Opening of Primary Care Office at Erie's JFK Center
- LECOM Welcomes New Classes of Student Pharmacists
- LECOM Announces Sponsorship of Erie Playhouse 2014-15 Season
- LECOM Sports Medicine program creates clinic to help with diagnosis and treatment of concussions
- New Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Students Begin Classes
- LECOM School of Pharmacy Hosts Career Day
- LECOM Bradenton Celebrates Seventh Commencement
- Construction has begun for the new LECOM Senior Living Center
- Important LECOM Events for 2014-2015
- LECOM Commencement Dates 2014-2020
- Support the LECOM Student Scholarship Fund Through Erie Gives
- LECOM Connection Available Online
- LECOM Provides Easier Access to News Items
- Sign Up Now for LECOM Campus Security Alerts
- LECOM 2013 Commencement Photos