Medical and pharmacy students at the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Bradenton, Fla., campus marked the transition from classroom study to clinical education when they received their white coats on Saturday, Feb. 8 at the Harvest Center in Lakewood Ranch.
LECOM President and CEO John M. Ferretti, D.O.; Provost, Senior Vice President and Dean of Academic Affairs Silvia M. Ferretti, D.O.; Associate Dean for LECOM Bradenton Robert George, D.O. and Dean of the LECOM School of Pharmacy Hershey S. Bell, M.D., M.S. Med.Ed., welcomed first-year students into their respective health care professions.
President of the Florida Osteopathic Medical Association Gregory James, D.O. congratulated the Class of 2017 and noted the importance of becoming involved with the state organization.
|Travis Smith, D.O., LECOM Class of 2009, addresses the Class of 2017 during White Coat ceremonies at the Harvest Center.|
Keeping with the ceremony’s tradition, LECOM alumni - Travis Smith., D.O. (Class of 2009) addressed the medical students, while Rebecca Nelson, Pharm.D. (Class of 2012) addressed the pharmacy students.
“The education you receive at LECOM will not only prepare you for your clerkships, residency and life as an attending, but will also prepare you to score tops in the nation on your Board exams,” said Dr. Smith, an emergency room physician at St. Vincent’s Southside Hospital in Jacksonville, Fla. and adjunct emergency medicine professor at LECOM. “Nothing successful that comes from this school is coincidence. It is the result of excellent preparation, great faculty and exceptional students – like all of you here today.”
Dr. Nelson, a second-year oncology/hematology resident at the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute in Tampa, Fla., encouraged pharmacy students to get involved in the profession.
“These experiences outside of the classroom were the key to my success,” she said.
The white coat ceremony is a LECOM tradition inspiring these future health care professionals to commit to the highest principles related to the practice of osteopathic medicine and pharmacy. Their education takes them on a new pathway where they will interact with physicians and pharmacists in clinics, hospitals and pharmacies throughout the country. This is a time when students begin their pursuit of providing quality healthcare for the lifetime of their patients.
|Amanda Peebles of Bradenton, Fla., receives her pharmacy white coat.|
- LECOM Celebrates Opening of Primary Care Office at Erie's JFK Center
- LECOM Welcomes New Classes of Student Pharmacists
- LECOM Announces Sponsorship of Erie Playhouse 2014-15 Season
- LECOM Sports Medicine program creates clinic to help with diagnosis and treatment of concussions
- New Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Students Begin Classes
- LECOM School of Pharmacy Hosts Career Day
- LECOM Bradenton Celebrates Seventh Commencement
- Construction has begun for the new LECOM Senior Living Center
- Important LECOM Events for 2014-2015
- LECOM Commencement Dates 2014-2020
- Support the LECOM Student Scholarship Fund Through Erie Gives
- LECOM Connection Available Online
- LECOM Provides Easier Access to News Items
- Sign Up Now for LECOM Campus Security Alerts
- LECOM 2013 Commencement Photos