For the seventh year in a row, the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine has been named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll, the highest federal recognition a college or university can receive for its commitment to volunteering, service-learning and civic engagement.
Pharmacy student Jordan Daniel speaks about healthy eating habits at the Lakewood Ranch YMCA's annual Healthy Kids Day. The event is one of many community service projects that LECOM medical, dental and pharmacy students participate in throughout the year.
LECOM is one of only two osteopathic medical schools to be named to the honor roll. The Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) admitted a total of 690 colleges and universities for their impact on issues from literacy and neighborhood revitalization to supporting at-risk youth.
“We congratulate the awardees and the students for their dedication to service,” said Wendy Spencer, CEO of the CNCS. “These institutions have inspired students and faculty alike to roll up their sleeves and work alongside members of the community to solve problems and improve their neighbors’ lives.”
CNCS has administered the award since 2006.
“Communities are strengthened when we all come together, and we are encouraged that these institutions and their students have made service a priority,” said U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan. “Civic engagement should be a key component of every student’s education experience. Through reaching out to meet the needs of their neighbors, these students are deepening their impact, strengthening our democracy and ultimately preparing themselves to be successful citizens.”
LECOM medical and pharmacy students in Erie and Greensburg, Pa. and Bradenton, Fla. volunteered over 30,000 community service hours, helping local community organizations during the 2011-12 academic year. Many of these volunteer hours are attributed to LECOM programs such as Bridging the Gaps, which places medical students with local social service and health care agencies helping underserved populations.
LECOM’s School of Pharmacy was honored nationally for its efforts in the Script Your Future medication adherence program. LECOM students also participated in Habitat for Humanity home building projects, elementary and middle school reading programs and YMCA Healthy Kids Day. Other LECOM student-run activities provide after-school tutoring and mentoring activities with the Erie YMCA and Erie Housing authority and the Florida Sheriff’s Youth Ranch.
College students make a significant contribution to their communities through volunteering and service, according to the most recent Volunteering and Civic Life in America report. In 2012, 3.1 million college students dedicated more than 118 million hours of service across the country — a contribution valued at $2.5 billion.
It is estimated that LECOM students’ volunteer and charitable activities are valued at over $550,000.
For a complete list of honor roll recipients, please visit the Corporation for National and Community Service.
The Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine offers innovative and affordable education in osteopathic medicine, dentistry and pharmacy. From campuses in Erie, Pennsylvania,Greensburg, Pennsylvania and Bradenton, Florida, LECOM believes that when mind, body and spirit come together the impossible becomes suddenly possible. It is a calling each and every one of our students embodies to become the best they can be. To prevent disease and treat it. To give hope. Can you hear the calling?
- LECOM Celebrates National Osteopathic Medicine Week 2014
- LECOM Announces Plans For Dental Group Practices at Erie Campus
- More than 500 student doctors attend Hospital Day
- LECOM Announces Opening of Dental Group Practices
- LECOM Open House for Prospective Students on June 20
- Noted Physician Discusses Preventing and Reversing Heart Disease
- LECOM School of Pharmacy to Offer Online Pharm.D. Degree
- Doctor of Pharmacy Students Participate in Advocacy Porgram
- LECOM Students Travel to Washington for DO Day on Capitol Hill
- LECOM, Wesbury Retirement Community Announce Partnership
- LECOM Using 'Revolutionary' Device in Patient Rehab
- Construction has begun for the new LECOM Senior Living Center
- Important LECOM Events for 2013-2014
- LECOM Commencement Dates 2014-2020
- LECOM Connection Available Online
- LECOM Provides Easier Access to News Items
- Sign Up Now for LECOM Campus Security Alerts
- LECOM 2013 Commencement Photos