The Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine invites Erie-area dentists to a free, informational presentation on its forthcoming Dental Group Practices, to be located at LECOM’s West Grandview campus.
|Robert Hirsch, DDS, Dean of the LECOM School of Dental Medicine, will discuss the College's forthcoming Dental Group Practices and the training to be provided to 50 fourth-year students. His presentation will be held Sept. 30.|
Dentists interested in training and mentoring student dentists should plan to attend the presentation, to be held from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 30 at 2000 West Grandview Blvd. (north building). Robert Hirsch, DDS, Dean of the LECOM School of Dental Medicine, will give an overview of the Dental Group Practices, which will serve as a clinical site for 50 fourth-year students who will move to Erie from the LECOM School of Dental Medicine in Bradenton, Fla.
During the presentation, Dr. Hirsch also will discuss its goals and staffing needs, to include general dentists, hygienists, oral surgeons, orthodontists, periodontists, pedondontists, anesthesiologists, and support staff. Upon its planned opening in May of 2015, the Dental Group Practices will be outfitted with 30 operatories, allowing students to provide care under the supervision of faculty.
The students will be well prepared to provide patient care at the Group Practices. By the end of their third year in the program, the students will have as many clinical hours as fourth-year students at most dental schools.
In addition, during their fourth year at the Group Practices, students will participate in nearly 1,700 clock hours of patient care, which is roughly equivalent to a one-year residency program. “The curriculum is extremely rigorous,” Dr. Hirsch said.
LECOM is investing $5 million in the construction and renovation of the facility as well as an additional $1.4 million in the latest technology and equipment, to include digital X-ray machines and an electronic patient records system. LECOM is also opening a similar dental group practice in the Florida Panhandle community of DeFuniak Springs, which, like Erie, has a disproportionate number of lower-income and uninsured families who have a difficult time receiving dental care elsewhere. LECOM is the only dental school nationally at which students practice at community-based dental offices owned and operated by the institution.
For more information on the presentation, contact the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine at 814-866-6641.
- LECOM Invites Area Dentists to Presentation on Group Practices
- Health Care Forum Emphasizes osteopathic philosophies
- LECOM Celebrates Opening of Primary Care Office at Erie's JFK Center
- LECOM Welcomes New Classes of Student Pharmacists
- LECOM Announces Sponsorship of Erie Playhouse 2014-15 Season
- LECOM Sports Medicine program creates clinic to help with diagnosis and treatment of concussions
- New Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Students Begin Classes
- LECOM Bradenton Celebrates Seventh Commencement
- Construction has begun for the new LECOM Senior Living Center
- Important LECOM Events for 2014-2015
- LECOM Commencement Dates 2014-2020
- LECOM Prospective Student Open Houses
- LECOM Connection Available Online
- LECOM Provides Easier Access to News Items
- Sign Up Now for LECOM Campus Security Alerts
- LECOM 2013 Commencement Photos