Lake Erie College of Medicine (LECOM) School of Pharmacy is Partnering in a National Effort to Improve Health Care
As an advocate for evidence-based research and informed decision making, LECOM School of Pharmacy is an official partner of the Effective Health Care Program at the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), the lead Federal agency charged with improving the quality, safety, efficiency and effectiveness of health care for all Americans. Under the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, AHRQ supports health services research to improve the quality of health care and promote evidence-based decision making.
Which Test is Best? Which Medication is Right for Me? Should I Have Surgery?
Patients often face complicated decisions, such as which test is best, which medicine will help most with the fewest side effects, or whether surgery is the best option. Every patient is different, and each should make informed choices based on individual needs.
Patient centered outcomes research, also known as comparative effectiveness research, compares drugs, medical devices, tests, surgeries, or ways to deliver health care. Research summaries made available through AHRQ’s Effective Health Care Program are designed to help clinicians and patients compare a variety of health care interventions and treatments and understand the benefits, harms, and side effects. Free guides are also available to help patients be prepared for their medical appointments and work together with clinicians to determine the best treatment option.
LECOM School of Pharmacy will continue to connect you with valuable summaries allowing you to compare treatment options, as well as the opportunity to help improve patient care by participating in the research development process. Resources are also available for a number of chronic disease and conditions, including cardiovascular and related diseases, diabetes, arthritis, digestive conditions, cancer and women’s health.
§ Patient Guides - Available in English and Spanish
Examples of Available Arthritis Summaries
§ Free CE/CE Modules - Free continuing education credits for pharmacists, physicians, nurses, nurse practitioners, medical assistants, case managers and health education specialists
Pharmacist CME/CE Activities
Free copies of the patient and clinician guides can be ordered by calling 800–358–9295 and using code C-01.
The Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicinea offers innovative and affordable education in osteopathic medicine, dentistry and pharmacy. From campuses in Erie, Pennsylvania, Greensburg, Pennsylvaniaand Bradenton, Florida, LECOM believes that when mind, body and spirit come together the impossible becomes suddenly possible. It is a calling each and every one of our students embodies to become the best they can be. To prevent disease and treat it. To give hope. Can you hear the calling?
- The Real Harm in High Heels
- Living a Full Life with Fibromyalgia
- Hearing Loss and Headphones – Is Anyone Listening?
- LECOM joins AHRQ Partnership in national health improvement initiative
- Stock up on Fruit for the Winter
- Back-to-School Backpack Safety
- Sorting Out Seasonal Allergies
- Adult Sports - How to Gain with No Pain
- Time for a Flu Shot
- What to Know about Nosebleeds
- Microwaves and Plastics: How to Safely Re-Heat Your Leftovers
- Should Your Child be Vaccinated?
- The Raw Facts About Raw Milk
- Parents Can Prevent Inhalant Use in Children
- Dietary Supplements: The Health Benefits of Pumping Up Your Diet
- Don't Lose Sleep Over Night Sweats
- Winter Brings Chance of Hypothermia
- Be Cautious for the Flu Season
- The Benefits of Eating Breakfast at Dinner
- Managing Migraines
- The Dangers of Distracted Driving
- Living with Diabetes
- Is Your Doctor a D.O. or a M.D.?
- Living Healthy at Any Age
- Shoveling Your Way to Lower Back Pain
- Holiday Gatherings: Perfect Time to Share Family Health History
- Halloween Tricks for Consuming Fewer Treats
- Injuries: To Ice or To Heat?
- The Dangers of Dehydration
- Fitness on the Go
- Exercise for Your Bone Health
- Muscle Cramp - A Common Pain
- A New Year's REsolution to Benefit the Whole Family
- Don’t Hibernate: How to Stay Active and Safe in the Winter Cold
- Battling Boredom in Your Workout
- Bone Up on Osteoporosis
- An Unwanted Rosy Complexion: Rosacea
- Living in Fear: Anxiety Disorders
- At First Flutter: Recognizing an Irregular Heart Rhythm
- Food Allergies: Avoiding a Holiday Hazard
- Matters of the Mind: Keeping Your Mind Fit
- Eye Strain at Work: See the Signs
- Don't Forget About Your Eyes This Winter