Facts you should know about LECOM
The Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) is the nation’s largest medical college and is the only Academic Health Center in the osteopathic profession. Physicians and administrators at the Millcreek Community Hospital saw the growing demand for more physicians and opened LECOM in 1992. With the college and the hospital as the core of a highly innovative medical education system based in Erie, Pa., LECOM has strived to add to the quality of life of our neighbors by bringing total health care to the community. The College brought a new concept in medical fitness and wellness to Erie, built a network of physician offices and has started construction on a senior living center that is introducing a new model of health care for older adults. LECOM offers innovative and affordable education in osteopathic medicine, pharmacy and dental medicine. From campuses in Erie and Greensburg, Pa. and Bradenton, Fla., LECOM provides student-centered pathways to prepare the next generation of health care professionals.
|Academics||Enrollment: 3729||Alumni: 6075|
|Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine||2243||College of Medicine 4344|
|Doctor of Dental Medicine||300||New program graduates 2016|
|Doctor of Pharmacy||983||School of Pharmacy 1573|
|Masters in Health Services Administration||*26||New program graduates 2015|
|Master of Science in Medical Education||74||M.S. Med Ed. 141|
|Master of Science in Biomedical Science||2||M.S. Bio. Med. 17|
|Health Science Post Baccalaureate||116|
|*MHSA includes students dual-enrolled in other LECOM programs.|
College of Osteopathic Medicine
- LECOM has grown to become the nation’s largest medical college with campuses in Erie, Greensburg and Bradenton.
- LECOM offers a quality medical education at an affordable price with one of the lowest, private medical college tuitions.
- LECOM is a leader in innovative, student-centered medical education with five learning pathways leading to a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Degree – Lecture Discussion, Problem-Based Learning, Directed Study and two three-year pathways: the Primary Care Scholars and the Accelerated Physician Assistant Pathway.
- The majority of LECOM graduates become Primary Care Physicians (family physicians, internal medicine, pediatrics or OB-GYN). US News & World Report ranks LECOM in the top five medical colleges for graduating primary care physicians.
- The LECOM Research Collective provides opportunities for faculty and student-assisted research.
School of Pharmacy
- The School of Pharmacy opened to prepare pharmacists as members of a changing health care environment dedicated to patient-centered care.
- LECOM Erie offers the year-round, three-year curriculum, while LECOM Bradenton has a four-year program.
- LECOM School of Pharmacy Alumni are working in a variety of positions at retail and community pharmacies, hospitals, clinics and physician offices.
School of Dental Medicine
- The School of dental medicine offers a patient-centered curriculum to train dentists to improve the health of their patients through preventive care.
- Curriculum is modeled on Problem-Based Learning through small-group, case-based study for basic sciences.
- Students receive early simulation and basic patient care clinical learning experiences and progress to community-based, primary care clinic experience in urban areas with the greatest need for dental care.
School of Graduate Studies
- The School of Graduate Studies now offers a Master of Health Services Administration degree to prepare administrators to meet the growing demands of medical services.
Additional graduate degrees include:
- The Master of Science in Medical Education prepares physicians, pharmacists and dentists to become better clinical instructors in teaching hospitals, clinics and colleges.
- LECOM also offers a one-year Health Sciences Post Baccalaureate certificate and a two-year Master of Science Degree to prepare candidates for advanced medical science study, research and health career degrees.
- Each campus building in Erie and Bradenton provides expansive teaching and learning areas and includes the latest teaching technology. The LECOM Bayfront Campus, Coffee Culture Café and Student Center and the John M. and Silvia Ferretti Medical Fitness and Wellness Center in Erie provide additional space for education and student activities. In Greensburg, LECOM utilizes classroom space at Seton Hill University.
- LECOM is a member of Millcreek Health System along with Millcreek Community Hospital, the LECOM Senior Living Center, and the Clinical Practices of LECOM managed by Medical Associates of Erie at 14 locations in Erie County. LECOM students learn and work in all of these facilities.